[X4U] OT: Virtual PC Drive Images

S. F. Sobczynski stans at sigma4.com
Tue Jul 5 21:43:41 PDT 2005

I am currently using M$ Virtual PC v7.02 and want to reduce the size
of the dynamic hard drive images.

When I set them up originally (in version v4 or v5 as I recall) I did
not realize how much space the dynamic drive option would waste. They
only grow larger but never shrink back down unless you do some
special things. I had done this once in the past and it was a pain.

As per the instructions it requires writing zeroes to any free space
on the disk image. At that time it took me a while to find a Windoze
utility that would do this. From my tests back then it literally had
to write zeros to the space.

I need to do this again and can no longer find any utility listing
this feature. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to have to
create a new partition and re-install all if I can help it.

TIA,
Stan