[X4U] Tiger applescript to remove drives

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Thu Jul 7 06:56:27 PDT 2005

On 7/6/05 8:18 PM, Crandon David <tabdave at comcast.net> wrote:

> I had an applescript in Panther that would run at startup that would  dismount
> my  Backup Drive. I would do this so no one would  accidentally do anything to
> it. I did an Archive and Install for  Tiger, but the applescript, which was in
> my  Applications- Applescript folder did not transfer over.
>
> I've dragged it over and selected it in the Accounts->Login Items  pref pane,
> but it still does  not work. The drives stay mounted.
>
> Can anyone help please?

Without seeing the script it's hard to say why Tiger would break it.

A script to do what you need is simple enough. Open Script Editor (in
/Applications/AppleScript/) and paste this in, substituting the actual name
of the backup drive:

-----

try

    tell application "Finder" to eject "NameOfBackupDrive"

end try

-----

Save this as an application and add it to your login items. That should do
the trick.

-- Bill