[X4U] Good Reading

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Jul 18 10:07:54 PDT 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

>> Am I the only one who thinks this is a really stupid thing to do?
>> Wonder if he junks his car when it needs an oil change and buys a
>> new one.
>>

> I as a consultant am often finding that I recommend the 'Buy a new
> one' thing just because the client gets a significantly faster
> computer, larger drive, etc. by buying a new computer. Many users
> are just ready for one anyway and this is a good excuse rather than
> spending several hours cleaning up an older computer

Well, if the car is an old piece of junk that doesn't run very well,
then an oil change may be a good excuse...

It's perfectly understandable if malware is the "last straw". What I
took exception to is replacing a computer primarily (or solely)
because of the malware. After all, I'm sure my wife would say I've
used lamer excuses to justify a new computer.

-Mike