[X4U] Frustrating built-in Fax autofill bug

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Mon Jul 18 21:42:05 PDT 2005

Does anybody else get this?

If I try to fax something through the Print.. dialog by selecting
"fax pdf" from the popup menu in the Print dialog, I'm presented with
a "To:" field for entering a phone #.  I find that whenever I start
to enter a # (might only be with 1-800 numbers, since that's what I'm
doing now), MacOS X tried to "autofill" the number.  I have a contact
in my Address Book named John Smith, and when I type "1-8" to start
the 1-800 number, it fills in "1-John Smith <841.xxxx>" for the
number from my address book.  I can't delete the autofilled
characters, because if I do and then start typing "8" again, it just
fills it in again.

My workaround is to open a blank text file, enter the number I want
to dial randomly, and then copy and paste it into the field.

Am I missing something? is there an easier way?  How do I report this
bug, if it is a bug, to Apple? I wish every Mac program had a "report
bug" menu item as it does in Safari.

/end rant.

Michael