[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips... It's all about DRM

Neil Lists at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 14:39:56 PDT 2005

on 6/6/05 3:53 PM, Steve Self wrote:

> I don't care whether they have IBM, Intel or
> squirrels inside the box. I only care that the user experience is
> more powerful, more integrated and more fun.

Steve Jobs went of CNBC after his keynote address and was asked what IBM has
fail to deliver.  Jobs said that the problem has nothing to do with the
current PPC nor the ones coming out over the next couple years.  He said the
issue was more about "Intel's processor roadmap really aligns with where we
want to go much more than any other."

"The transition is beginning now, Jobs said, to 'get us where we want to be
to build the kind of future products we want to build.' "

I think this might be about Apple wanting to sell movies the way they've
been selling music and the Intel products offer better hardware based copy
protection that will make the studios happy.  In other words, this
transition might be more about pleasing Hollywood than us users.

> And Apple has
> demonstrated their commitment to this

Yes, and they have also demonstrated their commitment to DRM.

Obviously, I don't have any specific inside information.  This is just
speculation.  I could be totally wrong, but that hasn't stopped anybody else
from offering their two cents.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/wwdc05cnbc.html