[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips... It's all about DRM

Bill Lamb blamb at cox-internet.com
Mon Jun 6 16:59:04 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 6:30 PM, T.L. Miller wrote:

> On 6/6/05, at 6:19 PM, Bill Lamb, <blamb at cox-internet.com> said:
>
>> I love Macs and respect Jobs, but we've all got to remember one
>> thing: Apple is a corporation.
>>
>> It's goals are to make money now and assure its long-term ability to
>> make even more money in the future. All else is secondary. At best.
>>

> There could be some factors behind the switch that we don't know
> about.

I agree. I'm sure the speed/temp roadblock for the Powerbooks weighed
heavily on this, for instance.

> Apple, of course, is supposed to make money, but I wonder how much of
> the billions they are sitting on will be burned up between now and the
> first Mactels.

I think it's going to be a lot, but Jobs knew that. Those ninnies on
Wall Street may be happy now (Apple was down just 35 cents or so
today), but they're a fickle bunch. Four or five of them can wake up
with a hangover on the same day, and the market tanks. Once their
eyes clear and they see the sales numbers after a while, they could
turn on Apple like a bad-tempered ferret.

Much also depends on the iPods health. (Referring to reports sales
have flattened.)

> Would you recommend a PPC Mac to a friend who needs to
> buy a computer w/in the next 12 months?????

Ah, I have to make up my mind about that soon. And there's far more
than one machine involved.

B I L L  L A M B  |  blamb at cox-internet.com