[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Wed Jun 8 08:56:20 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> [Apple] can negotiate with both major CPU suppliers, and take whatever
> product best suits a particular design.  That might be Power5 or it
> might be Pentium M.  No other computer company can do that.

That is a key point behind all of this chatter. For years, Apple has
defended its use of the PPC while being hammered for not supporting
Intel. Pro's and con's of the hardware aside for the moment, this move
clearly improves Apple's position in leveraging its supply chain. Also,
given the dramatic loss of profit margin in hardware manufacture across
the industry, more flexibility in the choice of cpu architecture and
subsequently the manufacture of product is a highly desirable
competitive advantage. In my mind, it is no accident that Dell has
announced its version of the Lexus of computers. As an aside, my wife
owned a Lexus; we will never buy one again.

What I prefer in MacOS X are the very qualities that make Linux
attractive: lots of open source, open standard support. Add to this the
clean, well thought out user experience and the MacOS is attractive on
any hardware platform. Further, if Apple continues to pursue exemplary
engineering synergy between OS and hardware, their machines will be the
only choice for discriminating buyers.

Just my unsolicited two cents.

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates