[X4U] Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Re: Apple's move to Intel chips)

Judi Sohn momathome at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 10:14:23 PDT 2005

On 6/10/05, Hector Luna <polonius19 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/10/05, Alex <lists at lexial.ca> wrote:
>
> > Left-handed wrench? IMHO, Judi and Robert are right. Software choice on
> > the Mac is much more limited than on Win. No use trying to pretend
> > otherwise or to explain it away.
>
> More limited maybe, but only in quantity, not quality. In the Windows
> world there is a lot of repetitive crap and just because Windows users
> might have 30 different ways to spell check it doesn't mean I'm left
> wanting for software for my Mac.

You are completely missing the point. It's not just about numbers.
It's about the variety of applications that are targeted towards
different end user needs. What you see as "repetitive crap" may also
be subtle differences that change a program into something truly
useful. Most Mac applications tend to have a "one size fits all"
approach, eliminating what the developer sees as bloat or useless when
in fact it may be a vital feature that one can then go to the Windows
side and find.

> The only time I've ever been loathe to be without a Windows machine is
> when I'm forced to use some indepensible app that was only developed
> for Windows. And indespensible only as it relates to work, because of
> whatever shortsighted business decision led develpment to be Windows
> only. I'm talking about internal Active X sites, SAP apps cludged
> together with gardent tools and the like.
>
> And as for that little gizmo Judi was crowing about, there are just as
> many Mac only gizmo's Windows users lust after. I was using Copy Write
> in class the other night and both Windows users next to me kept
> pestering me w/ oohs and ahhs, lamenting their moribund fate.

Very true. I know I prefer to blog from my Mac because ecto for Mac OS
X is years ahead of any blogging client on the PC side. Same with font
management, couldn't imagine using anything but Font Agent Pro which
is only available for Mac OS X. But for every 2 or 3 cases where you
can point to the better OS X application, there are 20 applications
that are Windows-only. Not saying it's good or "nyah nyah." Simply
fact. It's why I've spent the last year on my Dell PC getting as
comfortable in Windows XP as I am in OS X. Survival. It's nothing
personal.

Please get it through your head. What Robert, Alex and I are talking
about is not an attack on Mac OS X or its developers. It's not "mine
is bigger/better than yours." We've all been active participants on
this list for many years which we wouldn't be if we weren't Mac OS X
users and fans.

> I don't need you to like the Mac, I don't need you to dislike Windows,
> but I would like it if you got a grip...

I really don't care what you like or don't like. Software
compatibility and selection is easier on Windows. As long as you're
willing to kiss a few frogs, you have a better chance of finding an
application that is a perfect fit for your needs if you're looking for
something that may be a little out of the mainstream. Not opinion,
just the way it is and there's absolutely no need to get defensive
about it. The transition from PPC to Intel may help open developers to
working for Mac OS X when they wouldn't have otherwise considered it,
thereby leveling some of the playing field in an area where the Mac
platform has been at a decided disandvantage for a very long time.

Judi Sohn, judi at momathome.com
Mom at Home Design, http://www.momathome.com
AIM: JudiS217