[X4U] Shameless, self-serving plug (was Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Apple's move to Intel chips))

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Sat Jun 11 10:27:10 PDT 2005

On Jun 11, 2005, at 5:38 AM, Johns Maillist wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Timothy Luoma wrote:
>

>> Anyway, if anyone has *SPECIFIC* apps that they miss on Windows
>> (there were a few), I'd love to see that.
>
> I do work for a body shop, collision repair service.
> We use an app Photolink made my ADP. It allows the estimator to do a
> complete body repair estimate and submit it electronically to, in this
> case, State Farm.
> The program is made by ADP.
> There are others, Williams, and a few more.
> I have looked for a Mac that would work, as the owner would really
> like to run a Mac, and VPC is not really a practical, since the only
> real app he runs is ADP.
> John

Since you say you have looked for a substitute, you may want to
consider hiring help.

My firm has been constructing true cross platform applications since
1998, and I have been "in" software for twenty years. If you have an
application that doesn't run on MacOS, give me a call. I will review it
with you and offer an estimate to create a "work-alike" application.
Typically we can satisfy a large percentage of customer requirements
with existing modules, or there are open source projects that can be
customized for you, so the cost is far less than building everything
from scratch. With the estimate in hand you can analyze your specific
business case.

Will it cost more than QuickBooks?
	Yes.
Will it take years and cost millions?
	No. (Apologies to Randy for the contradiction)
What if it does?
	Then we don't do it. We are not shy about shopping the project with
your permission so there may be a way to get it done.

Obviously we are not the only firm involved in such work. I am certain
many on this list are just as capable. In today's flat world the
opportunity for modest financial success with a small number of users
is very real, unlike days of old (circa 2001, for example) when the
tools were awful, geeks thought they were gods and everything was
proprietary.

Onward,

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates