[X4U] Shameless, self-serving plug (was Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Apple's move to Intel chips))

Johns Maillist mymaillist at mac.com
Sat Jun 11 10:43:44 PDT 2005

On Jun 11, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:

>> I do work for a body shop, collision repair service.
>> We use an app Photolink made my ADP. It allows the estimator to do
>> a complete body repair estimate and submit it electronically to,
>> in this case, State Farm.
>> The program is made by ADP.
>> There are others, Williams, and a few more.
>> I have looked for a Mac that would work, as the owner would really
>> like to run a Mac, and VPC is not really a practical, since the
>> only real app he runs is ADP.
>> John
>>

> Since you say you have looked for a substitute, you may want to
> consider hiring help.
>
> My firm has been constructing true cross platform applications
> since 1998, and I have been "in" software for twenty years. If you
> have an application that doesn't run on MacOS, give me a call. I
> will review it with you and offer an estimate to create a "work-
> alike" application. Typically we can satisfy a large percentage of
> customer requirements with existing modules, or there are open
> source projects that can be customized for you, so the cost is far
> less than building everything from scratch. With the estimate in
> hand you can analyze your specific business case.
>
> Will it cost more than QuickBooks?
>     Yes.
> Will it take years and cost millions?
>     No. (Apologies to Randy for the contradiction)
> What if it does?
>     Then we don't do it. We are not shy about shopping the project
> with your permission so there may be a way to get it done.
>
> Obviously we are not the only firm involved in such work. I am
> certain many on this list are just as capable. In today's flat
> world the opportunity for modest financial success with a small
> number of users is very real, unlike days of old (circa 2001, for
> example) when the tools were awful, geeks thought they were gods
> and everything was proprietary.
>
> Onward,
>
> Mark Phillips
> Mophilly & Associates
> On the web at http://www.mophilly.com
> On the phone at 619 444-9210

Well, while something like that would be well and good, and the
overall cost (as opposed to leasing the service from the ADP folks)
it would seem to be that to have access to the data from the
automobile builders themselves, for a single shop, could run more
than what we pay now.
Remember, this app has all the vehicle repairs parts and repair times
built into it, and is updated monthly.
As a application builder, it would seem to me a better idea to
approach the insurance companies to see what their requirements are,
and go from there.
As was mentioned, even by name, State Farm controls how we upload
data to them.
Now, there are 3 different companies that sell the programs, ADP,
Mitchell, and I forgot the third. I would think that an enterprising
company would take it upon themselves to make and market one.
Since no one has, it is my guess is that ADP, Mitchell and the last
one got out, made the program and sold it as a Windows based program.
The light at the end of the tunnel, I believe, is that ADP is going
to a web based format. I am sure they will require IE latest version,
so I will see how that works out. But, if Safari works well enough,
we MAY be able to get into a Mac after all.
In THAT case, I will begin to sell my services to the repair shops
and see if I can move some Mac's, since all other things being equal,
and knowing what I do about the needs of a body shop, a Mac would be
better!