[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jun 16 08:29:41 PDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 1:09 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

>  I am NOT saying that crimes done over wireless networks are not
> prosecutable. I am saying that no one has ever gotten arrested for
> the activities of someone else's accessing their wireless network.

Are you sure about that? I don't have a specific counter-example, but
its not like innocent people are never arrested -that's why we have
trials. Of course its also not unheard of for an innocent person to
be convicted.

> Having an open network is not illegal but should in fact be done so
> that society will more quickly have a high quality wireless mesh
> network throughout our communities.

But if you do this, and someone does use your net access for illegal
purposes, don't be too surprised when law enforcement comes in,
confiscates all your computer/electronics equipment and takes you
downtown for questioning.

I don't know how likely that is (probably depends on where you are)
but I'm not willing to take that chance.

-Mike