[X4U] Kernel Panic at startup after Security Update

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Mon Jun 20 06:24:20 PDT 2005

Well, after 32 days without a restart on my super-trusty Rev. A
LunchTrayDeluxe (17-inch PBG4 1 GHz), I bit the bullet and did the
recent security update (iPhoto was crashing when emailing pics and I
wanted to see if restarting would fix the problem).  Anyway, about 10
seconds  (with the spinning startup disc-y thing) into the 10.4.1
boot process after the update, I got a kernel panic.  Three straight
restarts. Sooo, I archived and installed 10.4 and did all the
software update upgrades (including the Security Update) - lost about
40 minutes, not too shabby.

Is there a log in my previous system that might give some insight
into what happened?  I'm running a hack or two (iScroll2, comes to
mind, but I thought those drivers loaded after the "About this Mac"
window appeared).    I didn't want to futz last night, so I didn't go
into single user mode.  Do I have any options?

Thanks,

Peter

"I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million Mac
zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced."

-- One Slashdot reader comments on Apple's switch to Intel.

Peter Krug
pkrug at mac.com