[X4U] Firewire or USB 2

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 10:07:20 PST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Allan Rube¹ wrote:

> My old firewire drive is dead. I have a G4 dual with usb 1 and
> Firewire 400.
>
> I could get a firewire drive for $200 or for the same price buy a usb 2
> drive (same size) and a 4 usb 2 card to install in my Mac.
>
> Is there any disadvantage of going the usb 2 route? It seems that way I
> could use the drive when I go visit my son who has a pc.
>
> Is it a simple plug and play (no software) for the usb card (I was
> looking
> at a store brand card at CompUSA.

Allan,

If you are going to use the drive on your son's PC and your mac, it
either needs to be formatted as FAT32 (for windows) or you will have to
install a program on the PC to allow it to see the Mac-formatted drive.

For sustained transfers, USB2 is slower than FW400.  If you are just
using it for backups or small file transfers, it's probably not a big
deal which way you go.  If you are going to use the drive as a DV
scratch disk, you need to stick with Firewire.

You could always install a FW card in your son's PC, also.

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 1.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.8
pkrug at mac.com