[X4U] Low on Memory - I don't believe it

Andrew Swanson swansoac at uwec.edu
Sat Mar 5 14:19:59 PST 2005

I'd like to see if other people agree with my conclusion here.
These are the symptoms:
1) A couple of times lately, I've gotten the "Low on Memory" dialog.
The one that ask you to choose running applications to force quit and
free up virtual memory. The thing is, at the same time that this is
happening, the boot drive claims to have over 8GB free.

2) On several occasions recently the entire system has frozen up
(usually while I'm away and the screen-saver is showing - or the screen
is darkened.) When I try to wake up the system the screen relights -
showing the screen-saver, but is otherwise totally unresponsive. Other
times it freezes up while in use. After forcing a restart everything
(usually) appears to be fine (for a while).

3) On those occasions above when things don't appear to be fine, the
system instead boots from one of the firewire drives and the internal
drive does not appear on the desktop. It doesn't even show up in "Disk
Utility". Restarting makes the system start from the internal drive as
usual. Forcing a start from the firewire drive and running "Disk
Utility" on the internal drive results in "The drive appears to be OK."

4) This all seems to have started at roughly the same time as I got a
new firewire drive to hold my iTunes Library. At first it seemed to
happen once every four or five days, but now it seems to be getting
more frequent - sometimes even more than once a day.

Any ideas?

--
GWB: What ELSE did he lie about?