[X4U] Looking For A Good Black-and-white Laser Printer

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Mar 8 13:57:17 PST 2005

revDAVE said:

>Brother HL-2040 Laser Printer -  Is this the replacement?

Yes.

>Why is it that you
>feel that the replacement is not as good?

The HL-2040 comes with 8MB of memory, which isn't upgradeable.  If you
print complex PDF's, large graphics, etc., this printer may not have
enough memory.

<http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/printer_detail_AREA=PRINTER_1&PRODUCTID
=HL2040.aspx>

Actually you could argue that the HL-5140 is the 1440's replacement.  It
can print at a higher resolution, it has a faster processor, it has a USB
2.0 interface, and it can hold much more RAM.  But it sells for almost
twice the price of the HL-1440.

<http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/printer_detail_AREA=PRINTER_1&PRODUCTID
=HL5140.aspx>

Here are the specs for the HL-1440 by comparison.  As you can see, it has
excellent specs for the price.  At the price, I've been telling folks
with offices that they should consider purchasing one for each employee
instead of purchasing one expensive workgroup printer.

<http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/printer_detail.aspx?AREA=PRINTER_2&PROD
UCTID=HL1440>

>Thanks for the info.  You imagine that there will be discount toner
>available for the HL-1440 for a long time to come?

As long as there is a demand.  And since Brother sold a ton of these
printers, and they are very reliable, I suspect that there will be a
demand for consumables for them for many years.

Here is a Brother-compatible high-capacity toner cartridge for $30.25:
http://store.yahoo.com/megatoners/hl1212higyie.html

You can get a high-capacity remanufactured genuine Brother toner
cartridge for $35 here:
http://www.inkfarm.com/products/cartridges.epl?printerid=2557

For $30 you can get a refill-it-yourself kit that will allow you to
refill your Brother printer's cartridge yourself *twice*:
http://store.ink-refills.net/laser-toner-refill-kit-7.html
or
http://www.lasercorporation.com/laserrefillkits/refillkits/index.asp?ID2=Br
other%AE_HL-1440

You can purchase a Brother compatible drum for only $50 from:
http://store.yahoo.com/megatoners/brotdrdrum14.html

or for $49 from:
http://www.onlinetonerstore.com/productdisplay.asp?pid=6061

Randy B. Singer