[X4U] Publisher files on Mac

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Fri Mar 11 00:54:09 PST 2005

Publisher is the worst piece of software ever released by a legitimate
vendor. You should charge your clients at least triple you usual rates
to work in it.

There's a reasonable chance that a larger Kinko's near you, or some
similar workstation rental place, will have Publisher installed on at
least one of their Windows machines. Then you have two options. If the
workstation has the latest version of Publisher (2003?) and PageMaker
7, open the Publisher document and save a copy in the current/new
version. Try to open that copy in PageMaker and save it in native PM
format. InDesign should be able to handle the conversion from
PageMaker, producing a real file for real layout work. If the
workstation doesn't have the latest Publisher or if PageMaker 7 can't
open the Publisher file, do the work to make the necessary changes at
the rental place and make a PDF of the finished product. Be sure to
open the resulting PDF before leaving to be sure the layout didn't
explode when converted to PostScript. With the PDF, you should be able
to make most additional changes with Acrobat 6 or 7 or Illustrator 10
or 11.

Caution: if you have to make the changes in Publisher, do as little as
possible. The typical Publisher file is created with a "wizard" and is
held together with bailing wire, bubble gum, smoke and mirrors. Go one
step too far and attempt to make it look good and the whole thing will
blow up in your face.