[X4U] Re: Opera question [was: RSS reader question]

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu Mar 24 11:48:04 PST 2005

On Mar 24, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Peter Saint James wrote:

> On 23 Mar2005, at 3:09 PM, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:
>
>>  I use the RSS feeder in Opera which shows the text (full
>> or partial depending on the feed).
>
> 	Your answer leads to another question.
>
> 	What is your--or others'--experience with the latest version of
> Opera?  It gives me lots of trouble.

It's quite stable for me, I use it as my main browser

> 	It quits several times a day.

What's Mac are you using (RAM, processor, OS)?  Are these repeatable
crashes (i.e. if you go to http://www.example.com, Opera crashes) or
just random?

> Also it will quite often not perform actions it is supposed to.  For
> example, there are several sites which won't take a password from
> Opera.  I have to switch to Safari for those sites.  Ebay is one.  I
> can look at items there but can't place a bid.

Strange, I use Opera to login to sites all the time and never have a
problem.

What version of Opera are you using (launch it and type in
"opera:about" and tell me what it says under Version, Build, and
System.

> 	Certain commands don't work as they should.

Such as?

> I have tried deleting and reinstalling but see no improvement.

Have you tried removing the Opera preference folder
~/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences/ and
~/Library/Preferences/com.operasoftware.Opera.plist (while Opera is not
running)?

Sounds like corrupt preferences to me.

You might also want to try Opera8 Preview 1 for Mac
http://snapshot.opera.com/mac/m80p1.html

I believe that they are working on a new beta for release "real soon
now" too.  I like Opera8's look much more than Opera 7.

TjL

ps - btw Opera is looking to hire Mac developers
http://www.opera.com/company/jobs/programmer_mac.dml