[X4U] iPhoto questions.

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 29 09:03:50 PST 2005

Hi Mark,

Seems to me you have several issues, and I'll just address a few that I
think are giving you trouble.

Mark Des Cotes wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > OS 10.3.8 on an iMac DV 400 Mz, 256Mb Ram. 1.3Gb free on HD.

What is the rated size of your hard drive? 1.3 Gb free tells me only
that you might be pushing your free space.
According to some sources, you should seriously consider getting a
bigger H.D. if your free space regularly gets below 20%.
It's not that that aadditional 20% is not usable, but some programs take
big chunks of it, in order to operate properly, and later release what
they didn't use.
They need some "breathing room."

Secondly, when you're moving large files around, or a lot of them, in a
chunk, your "only" 1/4 Gb of RAM might be holding you back. Again,
breathing room...

 > LaCie 8x/4x External FireWire CD-WR drive.
 >
 > I have just under 600 photos in iPhoto. Yesterday I decided to back up
 > my Photo Library by selecting all the photos and clicking the Burn
 > button. iPhoto said it would take 665Mb which is fine since I'm using
 > 700Mb disks.

That may _not_ be fine! How much space a file takes up is not the sum of
all the file sizes, numerically.
I hope I'm explaining this right...
A file frequently needs invisible but real add-on space to put address
or other file information along with it, for housekeeping purposes.
Maybe liken it to your 1800 square foot house, all freshly painted and
on the R.E. market, but someone takes up all the street signs around
your block and for good measure, removes all the house numbers on your
street.
How's a new buyer to find you?

Fill up a storage disc too much, or in other words, leave far too little
extra room, and you're going to have all sorts of problems. You may be
experiencing trying to put too much in too little a space ~ both on your
hard drive and on your storage discs.

 > 1) While creating the disk image before the burn a message kept coming
 > up (about a dozen times) saying certain photos couldn't be found. The
 > paths to the missing photos were also provided in the message. They were
 > all taken on the same day "2004/6/5". The missing photos were in fact
 > deleted by me several months ago. I don't remember if I deleted them in
 > iPhoto then removed the directory, or if I just deleted the directory.
 > They no longer appear in my Photo Library or on my hard drive. How can I
 > get iPhoto to forget about those photos?

Can't help you there, nor for the rest of these questions. Perhaps
someone here will find the answers easier than I do!  <grin>

keith whaley