[X4U] Panther's Application Keyboard Shortcuts

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 30 23:18:38 PST 2005

On 3/30/05 8:23 PM, "Jerry Krinock" <jerry at ieee.org> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use the Application Keyboard Shortcuts in Panther?
>
> You open System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts, scroll
> down to Applications, click the "+" to Add, choose the application, then
> fill in the ("exact") menu item name, then type your keyboard shortcut and
> click Add.  It adds to the list.
>
> I have done this several times in different applications, both Carbon and
> Cocoa.  But when I subsequently go to the application and type my shortcut,
> I always get only an alert tone and never the expected menu action.
>
> Did Apple ship a feature which is completely broken, or am I too old to
> figure out simple things?  If anyone has ever gotten one of these to work,
> please let us know which step I am omitting or mistaking.

Works fine for me. You have to make sure of two things: that the shortcut
you set is not used by the application, and that you type _exactly_ what the
menu command is. Exactly. If there is an ellipsis, make sure you type that.

Kirk

            Author of: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France