[X4U] First-hand recommendations for data recovery?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Nov 28 12:17:50 PST 2005

On 11/27/05 1:01 PM, DZ-Jay wrote:

>> I've used On-Track services with exceptional results.  However, they
>> are a bit expensive (but recovering my data is not where I want to be
>> skimpy).
>
> I just wanted to add that On-Track offers a free estimate, and will
> give you a list of all the data found so you can pick and choose the
> parts you want recovered.  They perform clean-room recovery, and are
> very professional.  As far as I know, they have been a long time in the
> business (I first used their services at around 1996).  I was able to
> recover 100% of the data from a completely dead drive with a crashed
> head and burned motor.

I'd like to clarify this. I checked out Ontrack based on this post; however,
there's no free estimate. The diagnosis/estimate is $100, at which point
they tell you what files can be recovered and at what cost. If you choose
not to do anything with them, you've still spent the $100 for them to look
at the drive. And, per their email to me, data recovery *starts* at $700, so
the minimum you'll spend is $800. That's of course less than some, and more
than others.

-Linda