iPhoto overloaded (was Re: [X4U] Apple Aperture target Audience?)

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Fri Oct 21 08:45:16 PDT 2005

On 20/10/05 4:38 PM, "Steve Self" <steveself at mac.com> wrote:

> As an aside I do not know where the sense of "there should be..."
> comes from. As a visionary looking forward to a possibility, it is
> cool. As a sense of "we're entitled to..." it is, perhaps excessively
> expectational.When I start to feel like I am entitled to well
> designed and programmed stuff, inexpensively, just cause I need it...
> I simply remind myself how much work it takes to develop a web site
> for a client, while they express their amazement that it costs as
> much as it does... And like me, I think that the software developers
> should be paid and paid well for good products. Anyway, nuff said...

I'm not feeling anyway entitled, of course your not entitled to anything in
the computer world. But I hardly feel I'm being excessively expectational.
With digital cameras it's easy to shoot thousands and thousands of photos
and *a lot* of people I know do just that. I don't think it's too hard to
imagine a scenario where your software would get bogged down by users in the
real world. I also never said anything about inexpensive either. Software
developers should be compensated for their work no question no argument.
Otherwise what's the incentive to work. I would gladly pay for an iPhoto
that doesn't run like it's being powered by a hamster on wheel inside my
computer. Expectations drive progress.

> Perhaps another aside, unless one is a professional photographer, in
> which case iPhoto is WAY TOO weak, having thousands and thousands of
> images available on a local HD seems like a huge over kill. Keep the
> really good or current stuff on the local drive, off load the rest
> onto DVDs or other external HDs.

It's easy to say that if you're not a photographer or artist. I shoot
freelance on the side and I think it's absolutely essential to have your
entire catalog available at anytime because you never know when someone's
going to want a photo and you want to be able to have access to your work in
a timely manner. The creative process demands such access. That's why you
have a computer in the first place. And as I said even casual users are
shooting thousands and thousands of photos. Backing them up on DVDs is not
practical except as way to ensure against a hard drive failure.

> I consider Aperture to be the professional level program for image
> adjustment, processing and cataloging, but it may really require a
> Dual or Quad cpu to make it fly like we would want it to. It could be
> just another dog on a iMac G5. But then the iMac G5 is a consumer
> level machine and to expect it to deliver high-end, professional
> performance is silly.

Your idea of "professional performance" is different from mine. Average
everyday consumers are high end users. Many of them shoot just as much just
because their pictures are of their cats or dogs or whatever doesn't mean
they deserve any less performance for the money they spend. We buy G5s
because they are advertised as fast and advertised as "solutions". After
spending $2000 on a iMac and finding out after a year that some of your apps
are essentially useless because you've "overloaded" it is ridiculous and
quite frankly a rip off.

> That said, I still think some cleaning up, rebuilding databases, and
> clearing caches might help iPhoto some.

I will try.

> Steve

Cheers