[X4U] Re: Lack of sleep

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 15:54:08 PDT 2005

On 09/01/05, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> ranted:
>> On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:47 PM, RR wrote:
>> > Tiger, quite frankly - SUCKS.
>>
>> I'm sorry it hasn't worked out well for you, but you do realize that
>> the vast majority of people aren't having a problem, so it seems a
>> bit overboard to register a verdict on the entire OS.
>
> I'm going to have to agree.  Tiger SUCKS!!!
> 1. They broke Appletalk support

Yeah! It's a shame that six or so years since Apple stopped shipping Mac OS
8, they stopped supporting that ancient OS. What will they think of next?
Stop shipping machines that boot with OS 8 and OS 9?

According to <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461>:

"Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, and Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.3.9 support file sharing (AFP)
connections over AppleTalk  Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal
File Sharing (or other AFP) over Appletalk, though by initiating the
connection from the opposite direction you could still achieve an IP
connection from a Mac OS 8 computer to a sharing Mac OS X computerŠMac OS 9
and Mac OS X can both connect over TCP/IP without AppleTalk."

So, either run Panther w/OS 8 or upgrade OS 8 to OS 9.

> 2. The memory footprint is OUTRAGEOUS, suddenly my G5 2x2 with 1.5GB of RAM
>    needs an additional 2GB of RAM to continue to perform the same

Hmmmm? My G4, 450 MP, 1.5 GB RAM runs appreciably faster in Tiger than
Panther, but I'm not doing intense video/music/movie processing, just word
processing, spreadsheet manipulations, web surfing, and some image
processing. YMV.

> 3. No way to turn off that stupid widget mess, and lets not forget that the
>    feature shipped with a dangerous security hole.

You haven't looked very far. Granted, it's not an Apple SysPrefs setting,
but you can disable it using the Terminal's default
command-<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050723123302403&query=disable+dashboard>
has the details. There are even easy ways to disable journaling and
Spotlight.

> Those are just the issues I can think of off the top of my head.  Thanks to
> an unfortunate incident involving a dead hard drive I'm back to running
> 10.3.9 and *MUCH* happier.

Sorry for you loss. Glad you're smiling again.