[X4U] Entourage question

lisa jaguar at gmu.edu
Fri Aug 11 07:46:21 PDT 2006

Hi,
   Linda is right on track with what is happening.  :)  Entourage has
the ability to compress all attached items on the fly.  So if you're
sending multiple attachments and or large attachment(s) instead of
creating a zip, tar, etc.. archive before you attach the items
Entourage can do this for you on the fly.  You have two options on how
to get this to happen.
1)On the fly - When you attach a file and you are looking at the
attachment pane (if you don't see the attachment pane click on the
triangle next to the word attachment in the compose window) you will
see a bar at the bottom of the pane.  Mine says, Encode for any
computer (AppleDouble), no compression.  If you click on this bar you
will get options for how to send the attachments.  If you look under
the Compression heading you will see an option for None or Macintosh
(Stuffit) if you select Macintosh (Stuffit) Entourage will
automatically create a stuffit archive file of your attachment(s) when
it sends out the message.

2) Permanent option - You can also set this behaviour to be the default
by going into the Entourage preferences and clicking on Compose and
under the Attachments heading set compression to Macintosh (Stuffit).
This will cause Entourage to (by default) create stuffit archives of
any sent attachments.

It is possible your wife accidently clicked on the bar in the
attachment pane and turned on the compression.  I will admit, when I
use it Entourage never prompts me for if I want to use it or not.  If I
turn it on it just does it, no questions asked, but it could be due to
a difference in versions.  I have Entourage 2004, v11.2.5.

Hope this helps some :)

-lisa