[X4U] Recomm for wireless security cam

Crandon David tabdave at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 9 09:06:35 PST 2006

Hello Everyone:

I'd like to put a wireless security cam in my backyard and be able to
view it on my DP500 Mac. I'm new to this area, so I'd like some
hardware recommendations.

It appears there are two ways to transmit wireless. One uses the
"network" "wifi" "8011" "G" way. This would require me to buy only
the cam and a wireless router, correct?

The other cams use the 2.4GHz system similar to everyone's cordless
telephones. These seem to all have traditional composite RCA type
video outputs. This would mean I'd have to buy a PCI card to allow
video inputs. While they do sell convertors for video-to-USB 2.0, I
don't have USB 2.0 (just 1.0). I've been told that USB 1.0 is not
fast enough for the video, so I'd have to buy a USB2.0 PCI card if I
chose to input via USB. Is this all correct?

Other potential considerations: I don't want to spend an arm and a
leg on the camera (seems some network cams can be many hundreds of
dollars). I don't want the camera to be huge and bulky.

What's everyone think?

Thanks,

David