[X4U] Tiger DVD burning: LAME!

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Wed Jan 18 11:23:14 PST 2006

On 1/18/06 8:46 AM, "Michael Winter" <winter at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2006, at 8:31 PM, netkat at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> the Tiger/Mini duo can't figure out that 4.25GB
>> of data really does fit onto a 4.74GB DVD. 4.11GB
>> fit even more comfortably, but the Mac can't
>> figure out that 4.74 is BIGGER than 4.11!
>
> Where are you getting those sizes from? DVDs will hold between
> 4.3-4.4 GB, not 4.74 GB. This sounds like the difference between the
> two definitions of kB/MB/GB where 1 kB is either 1000 bytes, or 1024
> bytes depending on who you ask. Marketers like to use the 1 kB = 1000
> bytes because it makes things sound bigger, but the computer adds
> file sizes up using 1 kB - 1024 bytes.

You're correct.  Out of curiosity I checked Verbatim's web site:

"1MB = 1,000,000 bytes   1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes
Some of the capacity is used for formatting and other functions, and thus is
not available for data storage.  As a result, your operating system may
report fewer megabytes/gigabytes."

--
Rod

"And I guess I'm not a very good American, because I like to form my own
opinions; I don't just roll over when I'm told."
-- George Carlin