[X4U] Homemade Uninstaller

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Sun Jan 29 19:37:17 PST 2006

>> Shareware is not an option right now, and after looking at DesInstaller,
>> seems like it only works with .pkg files.
>
> DesInstaller is freeware, not shareware.

I was making 2 statements in one sentence.
Not interested in buying anything (AppZapper $13), and DesInstaller seems to
only work with pkg files.

> Yes, it only works with .pkg files, but that makes sense, doesn't it?
> What programs that aren't installed leaving a receipt file, do you need
> an uninstaller for?

I guess my lack of experience is showing.
In /Library/Receipts, I see .pkg files mostly for core applications and just
a few of the other apps I have installed (and uninstalled).

I honestly can't tell you how many strategies there are for installing
applications in OS X.  I don't know any more than to look in my Applications
folder for the .app, then in my Library/Application Support folder, and in
my Library/Preferences folder to clean out an application's files.

That's why the Spotlight option for uninstalling appealed to me.

Maybe you could enlighten me on how developers decide how to install their
products?  Sigh, MS-DOS 6.2 wasn't much, but I used it for quite a while.
Just had to: C:\> deltree C:\Unwanted, and it was uninstalled!