[X4U] Re: Firefox vs Safari

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Mon Jan 30 08:16:44 PST 2006

On Jan 29, 2006, at 4:08 PM, TjL wrote:

> The standard browser is Internet Exporer on Windows.

I suggest your use of the word "standard" is misleading. A better
choice would have been "typical", "common" or "most widely used". I
complain here because the term "standard" implies there was a
reasoned selection. That is simply not the case.

People use their heads when they choose a food store, a doctor, or
the purchase of a car. They do so because they understand the general
concepts involved in the transaction. While the arguments about the
will of consumers hold for many things in a free market, few people
actively chose I.E. Rather it was pulled along as the infantile
consumer internet market matured, much like AT&T grew to a behemoth
during the time when the average consumer did not understand telephony.

Now we are entering yet another stage of evolution in electronics,
and the ploys and potentials of the new methods of communication are
better understood by the average consumer.

FWIW, I too use Firefox for all the reasons stated in the posts of
others. Of course, I use Safari and I.E. for testing. Not that anyone
asked, but I give them all good marks. Still, Firefox is the best
choice in my mind and I advise friends, family and clients to use it.

Best wishes,

  - Mark