[X4U] Handheld GPS threads - request for summary [OT]

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 22:42:53 PDT 2006

>From: Jerry Kemp <mac2 at oryx.cc>
>There has been at least a couple of hand held GPS threads on this in the past
>couple of months.  For the most part, I have seen recommendations for a brand
>called "Garmin".
>
>It was also stated that Garmin had not released OS X software but
>planned to soon.
>
>My wife's birthday is coming up and she had indicated that she would
>like a hand
>held GPS.  For all of you who threw out the original questions about hand held
>GPS's earlier, what did you buy?  And is everything working well for you with
>what you purchased?
>
>Did Garmin ever release their OS X software?  Or are you using some 3rd party
>software with your GPS?
>Jerry K

I too have been looking for a PDA based GPS. Garmin are one of the
best established GPS manufacturers and their ...3600 Palm based unit
is very nice. BUT (from various GPS fora).

Their website consistently states that their products are not Mac compatible.
They have a complex system of unlock / enable codes that are fine if
everything is straightforwards. There are people who have had trouble
with support on units bought secondhand or through online dealers.
The ribbon cable to the flip-up antenna tends to fail.
Their support is generally poor.

I think that the maps are supplied on CD in an encrypted form and
have to be re-encoded with the ID of your GPS. The program that does
this is Windows only. This also means that you cannot just buy and
use unless you take a Windows laptop with you into the shop.

I have emailed asking for clarification but have received no reply in a week.

I am now looking at a Palm T|X or LifeDrive with external GPS module;
both are cheaper than the Garmin in the UK

Any Palm based unit will link with a Mac using Missing Sync s/w. None
of the 3 above link into any computer that runs its own mapping s/w.
They are local display only.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk