[X4U] How to automate printing?

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Thu Jun 8 16:56:19 PDT 2006

Hi Mark,

Personally, I'd merge all 70 PDF files into one PDF and print that.

I did this the other day with 60 or more digital photos I took for a work
presentation. I wanted a way to print each image "fit to page" to A4 to
show my manager the photo options to choose from. Setting up printing 60
or more times was something I wasn't prepared to do. After creating a PDF
with all the images in it I did the print once and it was a breeze!

If you have Acrobat 7 (not sure about previous versions) you can use
"Create PDF --> From multiple files" under the File menu.

Otherwise you should be able to open one of the PDFs then use "Insert
Pages" from the "Document" menu. Shift or Command-select multiple items.

Cheers,

Coj

Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
09/06/06 03:30 AM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

OS X Users <X4U at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
[X4U] How to automate printing?

I've been given 70, 11" x 17"  PDF files. Each one is a single page. I'd
like to find an easy way to print them to our networked printer. I tried
creating a desktop printer and dragging them onto it. It looks like it
processes and looks like it's done but then nothing happens at the
printer. When I double click on the desktop printer and check the
completed job panel the status of the files is blank (normally it would
say finished). I also tried Automator. I created a workflow that would
print the files through Preview, but again the files look like they print
but nothing happens. I can open the files in preview or Acrobat 7 Pro and
print them without a problem but I was hoping for an easier way than doing
this 70 times.

Suggestions?

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com