[X4U] How to Un-encrypt WinZip archives?

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Fri Jun 16 07:39:36 PDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 5:16 PM, B r u c e wrote:

> At work I use WinZip on a laptop, and keep my private info
> encrypted. I would like to send it home to my Mac to work on, but I
> haven't yet found a way to un-encrypt the data. I KNOW the
> password, because I set it. I just don't know if there is a program
> that will do the job. Any ideas?

StuffIt Deluxe handles password protected zip archives correctly.

If you are handy with Terminal, you can use the "unzip" program. If
an archive is encrypted, unzip will ask for the password during the
extraction operation. Here is a snipped from the manual:

        To use unzip to extract all members of the archive
letters.zip into the
        current directory and subdirectories below it, creating any
subdirecto-
        ries as necessary:

            unzip letters

        To extract all members of letters.zip into the current
directory only:

            unzip -j letters

For more information, fire up Terminal and type "man unzip".

hth,

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates
On the web at http://www.mophilly.com
On the phone at 619 444-9210

Certified Member, Apple Consultants Network
Member, Microsoft Developers Network