[X4U] OT: Question on cross posting and copyright infringement

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Jun 20 07:47:03 PDT 2006

On 6/20/06 9:19 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> Aren't we going to create a "climate of fear" by breaking down copyright to
> the point where even someone quoting something from an /email list/ sent to
> another has to worry about what they're doing?

How do you figure? It's always been against copyright to copy things out of
books and newspapers and magazines without permission; why didn't that
create a "climate of fear"? Why should the Internet be treated differently
than the media to which you've been accustomed all your life? It isn't!

> I will quote with impunity cry all you want.

discussed. QUOTING is not the issue.

> You post anything on the internet you make an adult
> decision otherwise don't do it.

No, that's not the case.

If I decide to post on a Yahoo group, I do so with the knowledge of Yahoo's
Terms of Service, which I assume that other group members agree to abide by
since they clicked the I AGREE button when they signed up for the group.

If I post on CE-L, I do so knowing that the List Rules prohibit forwarding
messages outside the list. Again, I assume that the other list members agree
to abide by that rule since they had to click I AGREE to join.

I make the decision where to place my words. No one has the right to re-post
my words somewhere that I didn't choose to put them in the first place.

I'm sure when you signed up for your internet service, you signed something
that said I AGREE to not use this service for illegal activities. Flaunting
the terms of services of various email lists would be in violation of the
agreement that you signed with your ISP. Quote with impunity all you want --
no one has a problem with that -- but be careful forwarding someone's words
somewhere that THEY did not make the decision to place them.

All I said was that you need to check the rules of the list you're
considering forwarding. I should have added to that, simply respect your
fellow list mates.

~Linda
--
Please do not forward this message, in part or in entirety, without written
permission. Please do not quote this message, in part or in entirety, on any