[X4U] Network Browser Appears Twice - /Network/Library Appears

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Mon Mar 6 19:43:49 PST 2006

Since upgrading to Tiger, and showing invisible files in the Finder, there are two instances of the Network browser at the Computer level of my Finder windows.

One appears as a container (has an expansion triangle), and shows in Get Info as a volume: nfs://automount%20-nsl%20 followed by a 5-digit hex value. It is an invisible item.

The other appears as an alias pointing to /Network. On my Panther installation, only this second version appears, even when showing invisible files.

What's the deal here? Is this normal for Tiger?

----

Then after upgrading from 10.4.4 to 10.4.5, and applying other current updates, now there is also an instance of Library, showing as an alias which points to the same server (nfs://automount%20-nsl%20 followed by the same 5 hex digits). What is the reason for and function of this, and why the change between 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 (or the most recent security update, which was applied at the same time)?

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING