[X4U] Printing to Linux box via CUPS

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 4 21:32:23 PST 2006

On 5 Nov 2006, at 04:21, Jay C Vollmer wrote:

> I'm the happy owner of a new Mac Mini which is sitting next to a
> SuSE Linux system.  Anyway, I'm trying to get the Mac Mini running OSX
> 10.4.8 to print to an Epson Stylus Color 850 on the SuSE 10.1 system
> via CUPS.

What does `lpstat -v` on each machine say?

Can you `lpr -P printername somefile.txt` from each machine?

Have you tried looking on the CUPS web-based administration page
<http://localhost:631/> on each machine?

I used CUPS for the first time a couple of weeks ago on Gentoo Linux
- I was amazed how easy it was to set up, to the extent that I can
offer you very few tips about troubleshooting. But I have to confess
that I cheated when adding the printer to the Linux box and simply
chose "Add printer" on the Linux box then copied & pasted from the
Mac's CUPS page (mine is a printer with internal network card) -
maybe you could do something similar?

Here, CUPS on the Linux box automagically recognised the printers
installed on my Mac (slightly annoyingly this includes the Adobe PDF
printer, OS X's built-in fax printer & some kind of bluetooth
printing facility). I tried printing in Linux to the Canon Pixma
ip3000 installed on the Mac and it worked perfectly first time with
no configuration. I found that somewhat impressive.

I assume that all machines are on the same subnet? CUPS can be
configured to allow & deny by host.

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf is essential reading.

You may need to give more details of the version of CUPS on each
machine and of which PPDs you're using (where appropriate - see /etc/
cups/ppd/) and the contents of /etc/cups/printers.conf. I found the
CUPS website <http://www.cups.org/> rather overwhelming - there's TOO
MUCH documentation - but have noticed a number of helpful &
knowledgeable responses on the CUPS mailing lists <http://
lists.easysw.com/mailman/listinfo/cups>. It seems like CUPS is well-
maintained and bugs documented - it seems to me like I've seen more
than one post saying "we know about this one - it's fixed in version
1.x.y".

Stroller.