[X4U] can't access data CD with 10.4.8

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Oct 3 23:13:53 PDT 2006

On 10/3/06 10:56 PM, Chris Beamis wrote:

> I just installed 10.4.8 on my dual 866MHz mirror drive door model,
> and when I put in a music CD iTunes comes up just like I specified in
> the CDs and DVDs section of System Preferences.  But when I put in a
> data CD nothing happens.  (Except I can boot off my 10.4.8 install
> DVD fine.)  I can't find it in the Finder or anything.  In System
> Preferences it currently says to Open Finder when a blank CD or blank
> DVD is inserted, and previously I had it set to ask but in both cases
> it won't seem to find a data CD.  I'm also confused why the CDs and
> DVDs preferences only gives options for video DVD, or picture or
> music CD, or blank CD or DVD.  How do I tell it what to do for a data
> CD?  I think it has Word and Powerpoint files.

A few questions: Is it a CD that you have accessed before -- i.e., that you
know is undamaged and  have copied files from in the past? Is it a CD you
burnt yourself? If not, was it burnt on a Windows PC and possibly not
"closed out" when they finished (this happens a LOT)? Are you putting it in
with the correct side down (I ask only because there are CDs out there on
which it's very tough to tell). Is there another computer -- a Mac -- that
you can mount this CD on?

peace,
Linda