[X4U] removing accented characters from filenames

Matt Gregory vdub.grego at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 05:56:37 PST 2006

I'm trying to convert all my music files to more unix-friendly file names.
So far it's been pretty simple using a couple of 'tr' commands to replace
spaces with underscores, change upper case to lower, and remove unwanted
characters.  But my problem comes when I'm trying to deal with accented
characters.

The man page states:

     Remove diacritical marks from all accented variants of the letter `e':

So I tried it, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  In fact the only place
the "correct" character is displayed is the Finder.  In Terminal, the output
of an ls command shows two question marks in the place of the accented
character.  And in the output of a find command two other strange characters
are displayed in it's place.  So I'm not exactly sure how to deal with
these.  Does anybody know?

Thanks,

matt.