[X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Fri Sep 1 18:47:55 PDT 2006

At 5:42 PM -0700, 9/1/06, Daly Jessup wrote:

>At 2:50 PM -0700 1/9/06, Mark Paul wrote:
>>Create a New Smart Folder.
>>
>>Pick where you want it to search: Computer, Home, or particular folders.
>>
>>Pick what kind of files you want to see. (All files anywhere on
>>your computer is going to show preferences, cached web images, so
>>you probably want to narrow the types or limit the universe to the
>>folders that contain your work documents.)
>>
>>Add a search criteria for Last Modified. Set it to today.
>>
>>On the View area, toggle list view. Click on the Last Modified
>>column to sort by time modified.
>
>I was following your instructions just to get more familiar with
>Smart Folders, and stuck on one point: When you say, "Pick what kind
>of files you want to see," where does one choose that? Or do you
>mean pick as one of the search criteria, as in, "Kind = xxxx"?

lol.  I jump back in here and answer that question. Ya, he was
expecting that one of your criteria was 'Kind' such that you could
set the value to 'Any'.

>Also, I have a confusion here, because I thought a big problem with
>Spotlight was that it deliberately omits quite a few folders from
>its searches, so it would not search the entire hard drive. Has that
>changed?

I don't think so. I do believe that Apple is still omitting the
System directory from its searches until the user alters the defaults
through a hack.
--

Robert Ameeti

Every style that is not boring is good.