[X4U] parallels

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Wed Sep 6 14:00:04 PDT 2006

Hi Mitchell,

Parallels runs like any other Mac OSX application. You do not have to
run parallels at startup. A few files are installed into the OS to
support networking.

When installing parallels, you create a disk image file that is
expandable in size. You install windows or linux or whatever x86 OS
you want to use into the disk image, then you can install subsequent
apps onto the disk image.

When you start parallels, it opens the disk image file and treats it
like a separate hard drive. It boots from the installed OS. Parallels
runs in a window, or optionally  can run in full screen mode.

It runs very well for most applications. It's device support is
improving; however, it's graphics mode does not support advanced
graphics necessary for the latest games. I find Parallels very easy
to use, with excellent performance - nearly as good as boot camp
without the hassles of having to reboot (I've used both boot camp and
parallels - I only run parallels now). You can share a folder to
allow use of files in both OS X and the parallels environment. There
are other ways to share files as well using such tools as webdav,
ftp, ssh, and samba sharing. For my fairly limited needs, Parallels
is an outstanding product that fulfills an important need for my work
requirements.

I run a MacBook Pro, 2 GHz, 2 gig of RAM on 10.4.7.

HTH,

Norm
---
Norman A. Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult
for people to work."
Peter Drucker