[X4U] DVD copying

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Aug 4 13:44:27 PDT 2007

On 4 Aug 2007, at 21:27, Neil wrote:
> OK, nobody here has mentioned MacTheRipper.  You mentioned having
> it, so why don't you just use that?  It works on copy protected
> content.  It preserves the DVD structure with menus and the
> original picture quality.  It uses very little CPU power and it's
> fast.  The files it produces are larger than the MP4 files made by
> HandBrake ...

Also the MP4 files made by HandBrake will not be playable on a
standard DVD player.

I believe that if you "rip" with a program that simply removes the
CSS "region protection" then the original DVD structure can simply be
copied onto a blank DVD-R which is viewable using a household player.

CSS stands, I think, for "content scrambling system" and it's the
reason you can't simply drag & drop files from a store-bought DVD
onto a blank DVD-R. The scrambled content requires a decryption key
which is written in an area of the disk inaccessible to home DVD
writers.

I hope this makes sense.

Stroller.