[X4U] MS Office 2008 delayed

Judi Sohn momathome at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 11:15:31 PDT 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Linda wrote:

> On 8/4/07 6:39 PM, Tim Collier wrote:
>
>> USELESS, IDIOTIC and ENDLESS debate?
>
> It wasn't a "debate". People came in and said Word was evil, Randy
> responded
> how it worked for him and *offered to help people clear up their Word
> problems*, and he's gotten the beat-down for defending *his* choice
> while
> others have freely proclaimed their choice better or at least just
> as good.
>
> While that may be true for *their* needs, it's not necessarily true
> across
> the board, but as soon as Randy said so, he got called out
> personally. How
> hypocritical.

No. Randy got called out personally after he took the first swings.
He didn't just offer to help clear up their Word problems, he
personally insulted those that weren't interested in hacking Word for
better performance. If you have to read a website with tips & tricks
to make an application work in an acceptable manner, then the problem
is with the application, not the user. He responded to application
criticism with personal criticism, as if he were personally offended
that his favorite word processor wasn't the same as everyone else's.
That's where I had a problem.

> No one has yet answered my questions about how to do Indexing and
> Track
> Changes in ANY of these other "just as good" programs. If you can
> show me,
> you'll go a long way to converting even more people who are "stuck"
> with
> Word. Anyone have any non-Word-but-Word-compatible solutions for
> Indexing,
> macros, and Track Changes?

I happen to agree with you 100% Linda. I'm not interested in
converting anyone. As frustrated as I get with Word's performance
issues on my MacBook Pro, I can't find an acceptable substitute
(which is what I said in my blog post that got me into this silly
thread in the first place). I like Word 2004 a lot, actually. I like
the floating Formatting palette, I like the Notebook view. I've never
had any problems with compatibility between my colleagues using
Office 2003. I would be quite happy, frankly, if Word 2008 was
nothing more than an Intel-native version of Word 2004 with Office
2007 compatibility. There's no reason to make change for change's
sake, especially if that has anything to do with the date slip (which
from all reports, it doesn't).