[X4U] Ejecting that second DVD drive

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Aug 10 22:25:33 PDT 2007

On 08/10/07, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc at mac.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Doug LaBore wrote:
>
>> So I purchased a second optical DVD drive for my Intel Mac ñ all
>> works great, however I havenít found a way to open the second drive
>> when itís empty.
>>
>> The keyboard eject button only affects the first drive and
>> combining it with the option key , command key, or control keys
>> doesnít eject the second drive door.
>>
>> Anyone know a convenient way to pop open the second drive?
>
> Option-F12 works for me.

If OPT-F12 doesn't work and if you've just got one external drive you could
just fire off this Applescript:

property drawerstatus : true

if drawerstatus is true then
    do shell script "drutil eject -drive external"
else
    do shell script "drutil tray close -drive external"
end if
set drawerstatus to not drawerstatus

Attach it to a key using System Preferences or your method of choice. The first
press will open the tray and the next will close it. Worst case, it takes two
presses if something interferes with the tray.