[X4U] Cheap Reliable USB Laser Printer

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Dec 13 20:47:11 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:32 PM, David R. Boag, DDS wrote:

> He wants a laser printer, not an inkjet. B&W is fine. They've never
> had color. The last time I was looking for a laser printer, i got
> an HP, and it still sits on my desk. It's been reliable.
>
> Is HP still a good way to go for a cheap printer? They want one for
> roughly $150 or so. Is there a better alternative to HP now for low-
> end laser printers?

Those old Apple LaserWriters and HP's were tanks.  New, inexpensive
laser printers print faster, have higher resolution and have a
smaller footprint.  But they probably won't last as long.

HP printers for the Mac went downhill around the time that  OS X was
introduced.  HP was all set to be the OEM supplier of Apple-branded
printers around that time, and then Steve Jobs had a falling out with
them and it never came off.  Since then HP has often had terrible
service and support for Mac users.  If you follow a number of Mac
discussion forums you will hear a surprising number of horror
stories, along with stories about how the latest OS X update isn't
compatible with some HP printers and HP is slow (or worse) to update
the drivers.  Personally, I just don't recommend HP products anymore.

Brother has been the shining star for inexpensive, yet reliable low-
cost laser printers for the Mac.  Brother has a couple of tiny laser
printers that are very inexpensive, which I don't recommend.  (I call
them the pancake models.)

But get above these two models and their products are the bomb:
http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/BW_Monochrome_Laser_Printers/

The HL-5240 is a workhorse.  It even includes Postscript.  But it
doesn't include Ethernet, if you need that.
Here it is for $126
http://tinyurl.com/2hmg4g

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance