[X4U] Installing Leopard on an older Mac

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Fri Dec 14 09:57:31 PST 2007

Quoting "K. Jerry Smith" <explorerguy at mac.com>:

> Hi, all.
>
> I have a friend who attempted to install Leopard on an 800 Ghz TiBook.
> Officially, the highest version of the OS that can be installed on that
> model is 10.4.11. He called Apple, and was told Leopard would install
> on it, though, and purchased the new OS.
>
> No joy.
>
> There used to be an application/hack that would enable the installation
> of OS X on older G3 Macs. I can't remember the name, and am wondering
> it a version exists for Leopard installation on a G4. I've found
> various means of installation, via the terminal, etc., but this is
> beyond his comfort zone.

Leopard will only 'officially' install on a machind that's 867 MHz or
faster; but I've seen numerous reports that it works just fine on a PB
800.

1. It can be installed using another Leopard approved Mac and putting
the PB in FW Target Disk mode.

2. There is a long, tedius, hack the installer process.

3. I saw a way to go into Open Firmware at bootup; then type a couple
of relatively simple commands to tell the OS that it was fast enough,
and continue with the install . . . it does involve typing a couple of
OF commands but it didn't look too difficult and there is a step by
step procedure available. Try this:

http://gb.tribes.cc/globalen/px/url/7766/lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html;jsessionid=6D36EC2541873057167B73D8030554ED

I googled on Leopard Open Firmware hack and this trick showed up
several times.