[X4U] OK, Recommendations for a $250ish Color Laser Printer

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sun Dec 16 19:40:49 PST 2007

On 12/16/07 9:26 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Toner is only part of the problem, price the HP 2605n, then price the
> toner cartridges, AND note that while the Imaging Drum is good for
> 20,000 copies, if you print in colour, it's only good for 5000.  So
> after 2 1/2 sets of colour cartridges, you have to replace the drum.
> I'm not sure, but I suspect at that point it might be cheaper to buy
> a new printer after you run the 2nd set of cartridges through it.

That confuses me. One of HP's selling points is that the drums are part of
the toner carts, so you replace them every time you replace toner. I have a
both an HP Color LaserJet 2600 and 3600n, and this is true of both of these
printers.

<http://www.hp.com/sbso/expert/competitive-CLJ2605vLexmarkC500n.pdf> claims
that this is true of the HP Color LaserJet 2605 too -- it's a comparison to
a Lexmark C500n:

> No replacement parts beyond toner ­
> Beyond toner cartridges, with the Lexmark C500n users must replace an imaging
> drum every 30,000 color pages for $212.50 and a toner waste bottle every 7,500
> color pages. 1 With HP, there are no replacement parts beyond toner
cartridges.

<http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/110667/hp-colour-laserjet-2605.html>
This page also says the drum is part of the toner cart.

Do you have a 2605? Where are your imaging drums?

~Linda