[X4U] iMac dead?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Mon Dec 31 20:40:59 PST 2007

First, I've never, ever heard of the abbreviations DH or DW.  Well,
maybe Disk Warrior.  OK, now I've got that off my chest.

I would leave the directory repair function of either Disk Utility or
Disk Warrior running for a LONG time.  Like over 12 hours long.
Especially with these multi-gigabyte drives that are around nowadays.

If you can't get it repaired, then you can find IDE hard drives very
cheaply.  I recently purchased a G4 iMac off of eBay for $120 with a
dead drive. Disassembly and reinstallation of an old 20 Gigabyte IDE
drive was done with minimal difficulty.

By booting off of the install CD, you've already demonstrated that the
computer works well, so let's just call the iMac wounded, not dead, OK?

If you can't get it working, I'm happy to buy it for US$119 :-)

Michael