[X4U] LaCie Hard drive troubles

faramineux faramineux at comcast.net
Thu Feb 22 11:05:28 PST 2007

I have 5 or 6 LaCie Firewire external drives. From 500 to 125gb. They
have been OK until one of them is now giving me some grief. Suddenly,
out of the blue it won't be accepted: The dreaded message arrives -
Do you want to initialize this drive? I called LaCie and they showed
me how to repartition the drive: Choose one partition and called the
drive by a name I have never used before. It worked for a week. Then
same problem. Called LaCie and the tech person told me that I should
NOT use the drive in a daisy chain, etc. He says the data must be
corrupted but the drive is sound. Needless I no longer trust that
drive. What do you make of it? By the way this is a drive that has
800 and 400 Firewire outlets. I use the latest version of Mac OSX. TIA