[X4U] Quieting the Startup Chime

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sun Jan 14 19:27:12 PST 2007

On 1/14/07 8:58 PM, John McClernan wrote:

> The simplest way I know is to insert a 1/8" mini plug into the
> headphone port right before booting up. You can get really cheap ones
> with no wires attached at electronics stores such as Radio Shack if
> you don't have one (or headphones) lying around. Prolly less than a
> dollar. That was my solution when my daughter was a baby.

Another way is to use your Apple keyboard and hit the Mute key, or put an X
in the Mute box in the sound control pane. This works on my G5, 17" Aluminum
PowerBook, and 15" Titanium PowerBook, in both OS X 10.3.9 and OS X 10.4.8.
Couple caveats: 1) You can't have 3rd party speakers plugged in, and 2)
Others have reported that this does not work for them, for some reason.

peace,
Linda