[X4U] ClarisDraw>Inkscape?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Jan 18 12:14:50 PST 2007

> couple of ideas for the lister here who is still using Claris Draw..

That would at least be me :^)

> I wonder if Inkscape would be a good place for you to go? Dunno about
> your legacy files, but Inkscape is a very nice draw app with an
> innovative approach to drawing relative to Illustrator; some
> similarities, but some very well-thought-out alternative approches as
> well. Inkscape requires X11, but development of an OS-X-native version
> is said to be underway.

The problem with Inkscape as I understand it, is that it is intended to be
an opensource replacement for Illustrator.  I own Adobe Illustrator CS, and
it really isn't suited for my "drawing style".

> Then there are several flavors of Neo Office, 2 of which don't require
> X-11, and which have most impressive drawing features, including bezier
> curves and some nice "3-D" effects.

Requiring X11 isn't a problem, as I require X11 since xterms's with a
remapped keyboard are the best VT terminal emulator I've found on the Mac
(can't beat the price).

> maybe by now you've had it up to your eyeballs with helpful
> suggestions, but I thought I'd toss those out.

Actually I'm still hoping one of these suggestions will hit the mark.  I've
been giving this a lot of thought this last week, and I think what I really
need to do is take a look at CAD software.  Does anyone know of any CAD
software that they would consider to be close to ClarisDraw in terms of
usability and features?

	Zane