[X4U] Migrate without Firewire link.

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 13:58:50 PST 2007

The "old" iMac G5 still works just fine except that the Firewire
ports don't work.  I'm passing it on to my wife who doesn't need or
want all the bells and whistles. So I'm not planning to remove the
old drive.

I do have an external drive (USB 2) that I can write to. But it's USB
not firewire. I do have a Firewire only enclosure that I could move
the HD to. I.e. write on the HD with USB, move the HD to the FW
enclosure, then
connect the migration assistant to the FW drive enclosure.  That what
you had in mind?

I could see this work except:
The question I'd have is exactly what do I write over to the external
HD (besides the USER folders) ? Which system files should be
included.? Aren't the system files for the MacTel version of OS X
different that the files used by the G5 machines.?

John