[X4U] ClarisDraw>Inkscape?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Jan 19 16:59:00 PST 2007

> Our office uses PowerCADD, which I think is a pretty good drawing program,
> and will do gradient fills, opacities, etc.  The font handling isn't as good
> as Illustrator, but otherwise I find it much easier to draw with.
>
> http://engsw.com/products/   demo: http://engsw.com/downloads/
>
> It's a little pricey for a drawing app, though.
>
> (We use it for architecture, but it's great for presentation drawings also.)
>
> -Barbara

I'm reading with a text-based email client in a terminal window at the
moment, so I didn't see the "little pricey" line till after I'd looked at
the webpage, you gave me quite the scare when I saw the price! :^) Maybe I
should add a caveat, I'm looking for something in the $100 range, but will
go a bit higher if it does everything I want the way I want, but I think
about $300 is the max I can spend.  ClarisDraw cost me about $300 in '95.
For that matter I think that's about what the antique DOS-based CAD software
I bought nearly 20 years ago cost :^)

Much to my frustration, unlike TurboCAD, PowerCADD would run on my current
system without an upgrade. :^( I realized after I downloaded the TurboCAD
demo it requires 10.4.  Well, I removed the Mac data off of the server that
I still use Classic Appletalk to speak to a couple days ago, so just maybe I
can find time to duplicate my system disk and upgrade to 10.4 this weekend
(I'm getting ready to do this anyway).  Guess it's a good thing I'm not in a
big hurry to find a replacement for ClarisDraw, or get off my G5. :^)  Still
I do want to find a nice Universal binary so I don't have to have Classic
anymore.

Zane