[X4U] Troubles copying files on a Samba 3 server from Mac OS

Vincent SCHULTZ vincent.schultz at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 29 01:08:28 PST 2007

Hello all,

I experienced some problems with files sharing between Samba 3.0.23 and Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.9 clients. With Windows client, everything is OK, the authentification and the copy of files into their personnal folder works good.

The problem is only with Mac OS, each time they try to copy a file, there is message : "You cannot copy some of these items to the
destination because their names are too long or contain invalid characters for the destination. Do you want to skip copying these items
and continue copying the other items?"

I tried this with a 4 characters filename, and it's still the same.

If they continue, the file is present on the samba server but only the filename, the file is empty !

With a terminal, I can see the mount (i am logged as "test") :

$ mount
//korden at SMBSRV1/EDB on /Volumes/edb (nodev, nosuid, mounted by test)

And I can go in the directory, copy or remove files without any problem. So my problem seems to come from the Finder.

Can someone help me ?

Thank you in advance,

Vincent